Welcome to the Healing Haiti + Eagle Brook Mission Blog. We invite you to follow mission team members as they experience what God is doing both through them and in them while in the mission field of Haiti.


'For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me. Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

Monday, March 7, 2011

Living Waters ... continued

The last three nights, the glorious sound of rain has been heard throughout Port au Prince...  nourishing the land and nurturing the soul.  But as I lay in my warm bed listening to the beautiful beat of the drops thundering on the roof that was keeping me dry, I thought only of the people in the tent cities.

Yesterday morning we delivered food and bathroom supplies to one of the nearby tent cities.  This particular one was situated on slight slope.  We started at the top, and as we wound our way through the elaborate maze these people call home we found ourselves trudging through feces and urine infested mud and water flowing amongst the garbage.  There were "lakes" and "rivers" that had formed quite literally at these people's front doors.  Not exactly what we would call water front property.  As I watched the children playing in and running through the water, I was reminded of the opposite effect water can have... the destruction and devastation.  The water had washed away part of their property and with it most likey carried bacteria and disease.  I now understand how cholera has spread so violently here in Haiti.

I now also understand why the delivery of clean water is so important.  Water is a very powerful source in our world.  It sustains life but can also, in the blink of an eye, take it away.  Praise God for for the vision of Jeff and Alyn to bring life-giving, life-sustaining, living water to the beautiful people here in Haiti.  The people don't have much, but they know and trust in God, and their spirit is far greater than most in the north.  I can only pray to someday have that much faith, trust, and dependance on our Lord.

I will return to this beautiful country and do my part to lay God's healing hand upon these people.  What will you do?

Ke Bondye Beni'ou
God Bless You

No comments:

Post a Comment