Welcome to the Healing Haiti + Eagle Brook Mission Blog. We invite you to follow mission team members as they experience what God is doing both through them and in them while in the mission field of Haiti.


'For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me. Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

Friday, October 28, 2011

Unforgotten

Friday was a very special day. We were blessed with the opportunity to visit with several elders who live in the town Titanyen. One of the elders we visited was this man in the photo whose name is Edmund. He is about 80 years old and is blind. He has a son but he doesn't help care for him so he is an orphaned elder. His house consisted of a uneven dirt floor and tarps for walls held together by sticks. We had brought him a care package, some bananas and hot dogs from the market, and a bottle of COLD water. We sang for him, prayed over him, and rubbed some lotion on his legs. We visited 5 other elders, each with their own special situations, but all of them really appreciated being prayed over and having human touch. We were honored to have been God's hands and feet to these people. Today reminded all of us about the elderly back home who are also alone and may need special attention and love.

In contrast, our next stop was to Yvone's Orphanage. What a surprise! The 40 kids greeted us with songs. Their voices were beautiful (we have it on video). They were so full of life and very excited about every activity we did. One of the activities we did was to make colorful pasta necklaces. We had the kids sit down in individual stations and they were all fully engaged in the craft. After we had tied the beautiful necklaces around their necks we blew up some balloons and beach balls. It was somewhat chaotic but the kids had a blast and we did also. It's refreshing to see the kids be so appreciative of the smallest of things and grateful for any time that is spent with them and also very respectful of adults. These Haitian children could set a good example for the children back home.

All in all, today was very exhausting but well worth it. Bumping around in the taptap on these Haitians roads really can take a toll on your body. We thank God so much for the taptap for without which we couldn't have met these people who now hold a special place in our hearts.

Thanks for your continued prayers,
Sheryl & Kathy
Team 3



No comments:

Post a Comment