Welcome to the Healing Haiti + Eagle Brook Mission Blog. We invite you to follow mission team members as they experience what God is doing both through them and in them while in the mission field of Haiti.


'For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me. Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

Friday, August 10, 2012

Day 5 ~ Quality time at Grace Village


                                        

Today began with another fabulous noshing session, the breakfasts here are amazing! The plans were a day filled with the loving community of Grace Village.
We all piled in the tap-tap for another fun-filled bumpy ride. Today was market day, so the last main road in Titanyen en route to Grace Village was loaded with vendors on each side.  The distance between car to car and sometimes people is frightening.
A little descriptor about Grace Village, in case you still haven’t checked out the awesome info about it from the website, it is the orphanage/development created by Healing Haiti to house the orphans/host family/some staff. They also employ the local Haitians to build things and in the future to harvest the aquaponic system. Which is a super awesome growing apparatus that you can read more about again on their website. This is a very abbreviated descriptor that will hopefully encourage you to want to understand better.
When we got there we got a general tour of the grounds and met some of the children. We all piled in the cafeteria/chapel/school house and FanFan (the in-house pastor to the kids) led a lesson on the story of Moses. Then we did our part of the lesson with a little skit, complete with Beth performing as the river that the baby floated on. We hid little images of Moses and Miriam on the playground for the kids to seek and find. Had a snack and did a learning activity. We concocted sidewalk paint out of cornstarch water and food coloring. The kids loved helping and carrying the paints out to the sidewalk, and painting.
Then, GET THIS!! They were making lunch for the kids and guess what it was!?! It was Manna Packs from Feed My Starving Children!!! We're not totally sure but the boxes had the CR circled on the box and a few of us were "claiming the fame" of packing them :) (the Coon Rapids location) It was awesome!! A few of us ate some of it for lunch ourselves!  After lunch the kids seemed to do their own thing back in their dorms. Some of the crew followed after them to play with them individually, and a few of us took a "tour" of the grounds.
It was awesome to have Jeff Gacek (one of the founders of HH) in Haiti during our trip to be able to share questions and curiosities about Grace Village or Healing Haiti in general.   
I feel so honored to be a small part of such a huge and purposeful organization. I'm looking forward to coming back and seeing the progress made. God is doing amazing things in this small beautiful country of hope and it is very evident in Grace Village.
We finished off our evening with an outdoor worship session, led by Jeff, a previous trip blogger. It was a great day.

Lydia

No comments:

Post a Comment