Welcome to the Healing Haiti + Eagle Brook Mission Blog. We invite you to follow mission team members as they experience what God is doing both through them and in them while in the mission field of Haiti.


'For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me. Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

Thursday, August 9, 2012

Day three in Haiti began with yet another delicious breakfast made by the wonderful Healing Haiti Guesthouse staff.  They have been filling our bodies with energy to go forth and continue our work here in Haiti.

Day three means that we have settled in, getting to know each other's unique individual gifts, adjusting to sleeping in a new place and looking forward to the richness of what the Lord has in store for us.  Day three can also mean needing that extra boost of energy if sleep has been difficult or if family members are being missed.

Isaiah 40:28-31  "Do you not know?  Have you not heard? The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom.  He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak.  Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength.  They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.

Speaking of youths.......the big kids met the little ones today.  Our meeting began at the Home for Sick and Dying Children.  Just to hear that title may make one think that this is a place of great sadness.  Quite the contrary.  Small arms reach up to be welcomed into your arms.  There are also many parents outside sitting with their childen.  They are able to be with them in the morning.  My little guy was Waken, two years old and the most beautiful bown eyes looked into mine,  Waken was asking for "MaMa".  I did my best to show him my MaMa/Grandma love for a few short hours.  My fellow team members bonded with a child and whether you were a parent, or had never changed a diaper the love for these children was in the air.  Jeff brought his guitar and sang and played for the children.  I have never seen the macaranah dance done to a Christian song but one young girl danced joyfully.  Many, many smiles.  The Sisters and staff who take care of the children are God-like in the work that they do and also must feel that love from the children each and everyday.

We had to leave the Home after we helped serve/feed the children lunch.  It was their nap time.  We wistfully said our goodbyes and headed back to the guest house where even some of the big kids took a nap.  A break before our next journey.

The majority of the team went to Gertrude's Place and I and another team member headed back to the Home for Sick and Dying Children to accompany some of the Sisters and volunteers to the Wound Care Clinic.  The ride to the clinic was a tour of the main streets of Haiti which were filled with people and vehicles.  Traffic in the metro area is a piece of cake compared to the hazards of driving in Haiti.  The Sister prayed the rosary enroute to the clinic and the prayers were a reminder to me that God had everything under control.  The butterflies in my stomach settled down and I was able to visit with some of the other volunteers.  One is a student from CO, but originally from St. Cloud.  Another was a medical student from France.

Once at the clinic Jen and I tended to people who had come with wounds that needed cleaning and fresh dressings applied.  There was not one word of complaint from any of the patients, and most were very grateful.  Even though they are not rich in material items, they are rich with graciousness.  It was my honor to clean and dress their wounds.

Once back at the Healing Haiti House, we met up with the rest of the group who had been at Gertrude's Place, which is a home for children with special needs.  Again, the big kids were able to spend time with the little kids and it sounded like there was not a lack of joy and laughter.  Stories were shared along with some tears.

After a dinner of pizza and ice cream, I hear my team members outside getting Salsa lessons from Jean Fils-Aime the Director of the Guesthouse.  There is cheering and laughter, so it must be going well.  I must go and investigate.....actually, I want to join the fun.

Even after another busy day and perhaps a bit sleep deprived......those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength.  Looking forward to Day Four in Haiti.

Mary Mc

No comments:

Post a Comment