Welcome to the Healing Haiti + Eagle Brook Mission Blog. We invite you to follow mission team members as they experience what God is doing both through them and in them while in the mission field of Haiti.


'For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me. Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

Saturday, February 25, 2012

Divide and Conquer

Today we split the team up to serve the people of Haiti in multiple ways. Two of us were able to meet the Restaveks and take them up to Grace Village to interact with the kids there. This is a cause that is near and dear to the hearts of Jenn and Kari. We were so glad that they were able to help these girls in this way. These young girls have been rescued from child slavery and are part of the rehabilitation program of Restavek Freedom Foundation and Healing Haiti.
Our second group went to the wound clinic and provided much needed medical care to their patients. The team told us it was amazing what having access to clean water and soap could have prevented. They also were impressed with the sister’s commitment to serve the poorest of the poor every day, all day. Each person was glad they followed God’s prompting and felt very blessed.
A third group went for a second day on the water truck. We were feeling very confident with our skills after our one day training session earlier in the week. With a smaller group, we found ourselves surrendering to what God had called us to do right at the moment. Within moments of entering the first stop in Cite Soliel, a Tap Tap clinic was opened for minor injuries and cleaning of cut feet. One child slipped while playing in the water and hit his head. This required a bit more care, but he was sent on his way rockin’ an impressive royal blue head wrap to keep the bandage in place. Some of the team experienced washing clothes Haitian style and the ladies did not want to let them leave until they had finished. I am always amazed at the number of buckets that get filled in a short amount of time. The people fall into a rhythm with us right beside them.
We ended our day of serving by joining the wound clinic team and going to the home for sick and dying babies. It was good to be able to cuddle and love on these kids. We arrived just at the start of feeding time and were immediately put to work. Most of us were able to reconnect with some of the little ones we met yesterday. I am asking for special prayers for a young 3yr.old boy named Frankelson. He and I played yesterday and although he did not speak we played tickle games and I sang to him several songs that I used to sing to my own children. “The ittsy bitsy spider” turned out to be his favorite. I looked for him today and was unable to find him. Just before we had to leave I went into what I thought was an empty room full of cribs. I found him lying in a crib with an IV and fever. He would not allow me to touch him anywhere except on one spot on his leg. I just gently caressed this spot with the back of my hand. I felt so helpless and angry at God. Hadn’t this baby suffered enough? What possible good could come from this? I began to sing the ittsy bitty spider and received a small crooked grin. The sisters came in to take him down to the doctor. If you have ever seen these sisters with these children you know that they do not coddle them, but when they carried Frankelson to the clinic one carried the IV and the other gently carried this young child as if he was the most precious gift on earth……my mother’s heart just shattered. It was time for us to go…… who would be there for him when he returned from the doctor’s, who would comfort him, who would protect him, love him ……..Jesus and myself in my prayers. Please include this little one in your prayers tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment