Welcome to the Healing Haiti + Eagle Brook Mission Blog. We invite you to follow mission team members as they experience what God is doing both through them and in them while in the mission field of Haiti.


'For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me. Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

A Lesson in Contrasts

I love to fly. And whenever I fly I try to get a window seat. I love to see how perspective changes as you lift off and rise above the ground. Suddenly you see things from a different perspective. A higher one.

That's what I did on my plane trip to Haiti. We had a layover in Miami and then it was off to Port au Prince. But one thing that stood out to me in my window view seat was the stark contrast of views. When our plane was descending upon Miami, I saw familiar things, nice homes, swimming pools, schools and golf courses. A few hours later however, a few hundred feet above Haiti, my view was quit different. Dirt roads and tents. That's about it. These are images I'd seen on TV and from pictures of friends who've been in Haiti. but somehow this was different. Seeing the poverty with my own eyes was sobering. And I hadn't even landed yet! I distinctly remember thinking about the contrast between my view of Miami and Haiti. Both had beautiful oceans, coastlines and palm trees. Genesis chapter one tells me God created both of these places with my mighty hand and called them "good." But since then it seems, things have changed. These two cities, not seperated by many miles on the map, are worlds apart economically. And that's pretty obvious to anyone who watches TV and reads the newspaper.

What may not be so obvious is that God's love for the people of Port au Prince, Miami or Minneapolis is the same. He loves them all the same. And that love is unchanging. See John 3:16.

As I write thes words, it's Tuesday morning. We haven't had much contact with the Haitian people yet, besides the friendly men at the airport who continually tried to help us with our baggage. But my prayer for myself and my team this day is that God would give me the same kind of love that he has for the people of Haiti. Economically, they are worlds apart from my friends and family back home. But in reality, we are all the same in God's eyes. We are all his beloved children. My prayer is that I would live out the words of 1 John 3:16-18. "This is how we know that what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers. If anyone has material possessions and sees his brother in need but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him? Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth."

Lord, give me your eyes, your hands and your heart today as we minister to your children in Haiti. Amen

- Mark Lenz, Connections Pastor, EBC - Blaine.

No comments:

Post a Comment