Welcome to the Healing Haiti + Eagle Brook Mission Blog. We invite you to follow mission team members as they experience what God is doing both through them and in them while in the mission field of Haiti.


'For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me. Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Danyell's Post from Port-au-Prince

Hello from Port-au-Prince, Haiti!

Today we were blessed with the opportunity to ride along with the Healing Haiti water truck to three districts in Cite Soleil...the poorest area in the western hemisphere.  There are many trucks that deliver water in Haiti, but this truck is one of the few... if not the only... that buys the water and delivers this life necessity for free!
Our first stop was in District 17. We were greeted, as we were at each stop, by joyful shouts of "hey you" from the tiniest of Cite Soleil, the children. Many children walked around in the only rags they have to call their own, others with nothing to call theirs.
As we came to a stop, the truck sounded it's horn as a signal that water was here and the crowd began to form, members carrying the any container they had... buckets, basins, pots, old cut barrels, containers in my eyes that would not even be good enough to place on the curb for Monday's pickup back home. I was taken back by the many children, women, and men that carried these huge containers, many ontop of their heads, to their homes.  I don't know how to describe the structures they live in to you, I feel as though the word 'shanty' is too modern of a word to use when writing... shambles of tin standing to create makeshift walls and roofing.
On several occassions I was able to help carry these buckets and couldn't help wonder how the adults, let alone the little ones, managed. I struggled to carry this watery load, how do they carry their other burdens?  and many without any visible complaint. I was blessed to be a witness of the grace of God given to them through faith.
District 17 is on a bay of an ocean. We walked out to the bay ... the land is covered in waste - broken glass and other unusable garbage. As we walked along the trash laiden trail with our water truck guides, a hord of small children held our hands to make the trek with us. They followed where ever we went; longing for love, attention, a kind smile.
As we stood and stopped along the bay, the group of children began to dance and sing... God is so good, oh so good to us. So happy to be with us this day, so joyful and fullfilled in the promise that God is with them.

Love in Christ,
Danyell

No comments:

Post a Comment