Welcome to the Healing Haiti + Eagle Brook Mission Blog. We invite you to follow mission team members as they experience what God is doing both through them and in them while in the mission field of Haiti.


'For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me. Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

Monday, July 30, 2012

departure

Yesterday was our last full day in Haiti and was full of such beauty.. it is blatantly evident that God's hand has been present in the creation of this land, the Haitian people, the experiences were were gifted with this week, and the dynamic of our group.
     The day began at Grace Village to attend Sunday service. Again we were greeted with smiles by the little ones, each one donning their Sunday best. The lunch tables that are typically set up in this multipurpose room had been converted into benches and were packed with children from Grace Village and families from the community below. The children saw each of us and made room on the benches so we could be with them. I felt so welcomed here. Church was wonderful. Even though I did not understand the language the majority of the service was conducted in, this was one of the best I have ever attended. The kids sang at the top of their lungs to the worship music, dancing was conducted in the aisle, hugs and comfort were given during the teaching time. There was such community, love, and fellowship in the room. A lovely experience to soak in that I want to bottle and take it with me.
     We loaded up into the Healing Haiti tap tap (the vehicle we use as transportation while in Haiti). I looked around at the faces of each of us.God has diversely created each member of this group and picked each person to be here for this experience.  Strangers a week ago now physically leaning on one other, freely sharing inner thoughts out loud, experiencing each moment together. I cry a bit out of happiness because it has felt so good to be in the presence of such positive Christian community this week.
     The interpreters that have been our guides, protectors, and communicators have been wonderful... they have been so thoughtful to us and taken such great care of the team. We love them and consider each to be a member of the group. They took time on Sunday to show us the capital of Port-au-Prince and explain the community to us. Once beautiful buildings... the cathedral and palace... now stand as proud rubble. We traveled up into the mountains and took in the cooler air, the lush vegetation, and views of the city below. Amazing sights taken in with an amazing group of people... trips don't get much better than this.

     This morning, the group is settling into the fact that we will be leaving here in a few hours. Mixed emotions are present. It is a comfort to know that the next Healing Haiti team will be arriving today to continue the work and will be gifted with their God given experiences. There is a readiness to head home to share our physical and spiritual journey with family and friends; but also a hesitancy to leave this place where God has given us greater sense or purpose, community, and closeness to Him. We each hope to continue allowing these experiences to take root in our lives and spread.

Thank you Healing Haiti and Eagle Brook for existing and for being so thoughtful in the creation of this experience.

Thank you to those of who read the blogs, who pray for us continually each day, support the possibility of this trip in so many ways, and welcome our changed hearts home.

No comments:

Post a Comment