Welcome to the Healing Haiti + Eagle Brook Mission Blog. We invite you to follow mission team members as they experience what God is doing both through them and in them while in the mission field of Haiti.


'For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me. Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

Friday, July 27, 2012

Grace Village

     Today we ventured to the countryside of Titanyen, Haiti to visit in need elders and Grace Village... I feel compelled to tell you about the amazing experience we had at a place called Grace Village. Grace Village is a home for about 60 orphans that opened only seven months ago and has been built on a mountain side that looks over the Caribbean Sea. The buildings are brightly painted, the ground is free from litter, a large playground stands in the yard.
     The children were the most reassuring part of the experience, I have never in my life met such a caring, respectful, God loving group of little ones. A few months ago, forty of these children were housed in a small orphanage that did not have enough beds for each child, not enough dishes... many times using Frisbees and lids to eat out of as they sat on makeshift beds. Not enough room for a kitchen or enough resources to go around.
     Several of the children I met wanted to know if every member of our group had Jesus in our hearts .. they want us to have salvation... they want us to have a good, fruitful life. So much love, respect, and sharing between each other as they played with toys and shared snacks.
     While speaking with several of the small boys, I asked what they would like to do when they grew up. Replies came in the forms of wanting to become a pastor or engineer like the Haitian men they so look up to at Grace Village. Others wanting to become doctors or teachers.  No hesitation came to them, no thoughts that they may not survive until adulthood, no notion that they would be limited by their surroundings.
    There has been hope in each of the places we have visited this week, but Grace Village is different. Grace Village is filled with the hope of the next generation and the difference they will make where as other areas have been filled with the hope that enough resources will be available for survival. These children are truly happy, able to go to school, and have the opportunity for a bright future. These children have faith in their hearts and the desire to spread God's love to others. The healing of Haiti has begun.


Danyell

No comments:

Post a Comment