Welcome to the Healing Haiti + Eagle Brook Mission Blog. We invite you to follow mission team members as they experience what God is doing both through them and in them while in the mission field of Haiti.


'For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me. Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Hope and Loss



For months I've thought of a 2 year old girl whose big brown eyes could look right through you. Her smile brightened the room and her hugs could melt the hardest of hearts. Last February I had to walk out of her nursery, forever hearing her cries that echoed through my heart.

It was with great apprehension that I returned to the home for sick and dying babies here in Port au Prince where she was being cared for. Will she still be there? Will she still remember me as I remember her?

I looked throughout the building and she was just not there. I never knew her name, only the warmth of her touch. I pray that her bright little spirit is lighting up the lives of her family. I pray that she is safe. I pray that she is happy. I know that I never will know. All I feel now is that she is gone.

There are many other kids there. All needing love. All craving the gift of human touch. I walk to their cribs looking at their outstretched arms. I pick up a little boy and the cycle begins again.

No comments:

Post a Comment