Welcome to the Healing Haiti + Eagle Brook Mission Blog. We invite you to follow mission team members as they experience what God is doing both through them and in them while in the mission field of Haiti.


'For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me. Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Hope for Orphans


My name is Judy Anton. Today we briefly toured Elder School. We were so impressed with the enthusiasm of the students there, and some in our group were happy to see calculus (I think) on the chalkboard :) It was a joy to see the opportunities this will lead to for the future of these children.

From there we moved onto Grace Village, a work in progress where orphans from two current orphanages will be combined in a beautiful facility on a mountainside, with a stunning view of the ocean. We were told that Alyn chose the site, and selected the colors, layout, etc. It was absolutely perfect and we know the future tenants will feel like they've moved into a palace. It's so evident that God is guiding this project. Three local children followed us into the compound and we shared our snack lunch & water with them, and had another opportunity to witness how the children (and adults) are so kind and loving to one another and, with the little they have, are always wanting to share and take care of each other.

From there we moved on to Guillaume's Orphanage, stopping on the way to dip our toes into the ocean and get photos with that gorgeous background - again just stunning. At Guillaume's, we were greeted by a round of songs, with hand motions, adorable. What a greeting - we loved it! We had brought crafts & activities for the children and divided up into four stations, something for everyone... string bracelets, nail polish, soccer balls, 3D wooden puzzles, and probably more but I was so wrapped up in the bracelets that I didn't see much of the rest. Oh yes, balloons and markers to write on them - names, faces, messages... Here, and everywhere we go, we are struck with the joy the children express in having these opportunities. And they are SO affectionate, the moment we walk in some are attached to us and that fills me with joy, as I know it does the rest of my team.

It was such a huge blessing to see where the orphans are moving to, and visiting them in the afternoon made it all the more meaningful, to actually meet children who will call Grace Village home! I felt immense gratitude toward God for giving them this new home.

Lastly, it's apparent everywhere we go that Jesus is at the center of all that is done through Healing Haiti for the Haitians in need. Not only are there physical needs being met, but their hope for eternity with him. My heart was broken today and I'll never forget the experiences of this day! Love to all from all of us!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment