Welcome to the Healing Haiti + Eagle Brook Mission Blog. We invite you to follow mission team members as they experience what God is doing both through them and in them while in the mission field of Haiti.


'For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me. Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

Monday, August 8, 2011

We Made It!

This Is Lauren NOT Charlie!
Team 3 made it to Haiti! What an experience it has already been! When we arrived in Miami one of our team members was feeling under the weather. She had taken medicine which wasn't working. We laid hands on her and prayed over her for a quick healing- and by golly the good Lord answered our prayers! Within the next hour she was back to 100% and ready for the last leg of the journey here. It was truly amazing!
When arriving at the Port-au-Prince airport I had no idea what to expect. Nothing could have prepared me. It is nothing like an airport that we would see in the United States. We walked off the plane, down the hall and outside to a shuttle that took us to immigration. We got in line to turn in our papers and to get our luggage. This place was chaos! Lots of people and not a lot of space. With patience and love we worked with each other to collect all of our bags. We exited the airport with a flood of men surrounding us to help us get all our luggage to our top top where Jean was waiting. Again, pure chaos! We made it to Jean and boy were we excited to see him!
We got all our bags in the back of the top top and climbed in. Nothing could have prepared me for the sights and smells I was experiencing. There were pigs eating the garbage on the sides of the road, there are no traffic laws, no stop signs or speed limits- I have never heard so much honking in my life! We were able to say hi to people that were on the streets as we were driving along and to see them greet us and smile back was a gift.
We arrived at a beautiful house where Fan Fan, our other Haitian staff member was waiting for us! What a welcome he gave! We unloaded the luggage, got our room assignments and then got acclimated with the grounds. We were able to go over and see the hotel swimming pool which was also beautiful. There were chickens roaming the streets by the house, as well as dogs. There was a soccer game going on up the road with a ton of kids playing. When the children saw us on the street they came running from all directions to get our attention.I have never seen children so excited to see someone they had never met with huge smiles on their faces. Those faces just melt your heart, they are so precious. They introduced themselves and wanted to know who we were. We didn't get to stay in the streets long to play or talk but it was just a taste of what we will be experiencing the rest of this trip. We have had a great first day in Haiti and I can't wait to see what God has in store. What an honor and blessing it has been already to be able to come to such a beautiful place.

No comments:

Post a Comment