Welcome to the Healing Haiti + Eagle Brook Mission Blog. We invite you to follow mission team members as they experience what God is doing both through them and in them while in the mission field of Haiti.


'For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me. Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Love until it hurts

A quote that I heard these last two days really touched me and I wanted to share it with you...

"If you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love"~Mother Theresa

Today, we went to an orphanage called Guillaume's and played with the children. We painted their nails, made necklaces and played soccer with them. The children at this orphanage especially touched my heart, especially Laika, a fourteen year old girl. She was tall and had the greatest smile, but liked to keep it hidden behind her shy eyes. I was walking and she opened her arms to me and gave me the biggest hug. I found out how old she was and was amazed. My heart broke to think of her life. When I think of teenagers, I think of them as only thinking of themselves and not caring about others. Before leaving for the trip, I imagined being so touched by the little children at the orphanages. I was so surprised that I was so taken back by this teenager, by this girl that only wanted to be touched, to be loved by someone. I continued to share with her and just continue to share small touches of love to her. I cannot imagine how difficult it is for her to be a teenager and trying to find where you belong. Being a teenager is difficult enough, let alone to have no one in this world and to just want to be loved. It made me think of my own boys, who want to be so independant, yet still need that love and still want me to tuck them in and give them a kiss goodnight. I just could not imagine growing up and not feeling that love.

I continued to love this girl and when the time came to say goodbye, I could not get enough of the hugs. It hurt to let her go and not know what will happen in her life. I will continue to love this girl through my prayers and even though it hurt and I feel so drained, I know God has filled me with enough love to give. Just as in the quote, the love that I gave hurt and brought me tears and broke my heart, but I know that God will continue to watch over all these children.

He is the HOPE and in Him is the FUTURE. God is Good and His love endures forever!

No comments:

Post a Comment